The FLINTKNAPPING Process|
1. Get Material to be Flintknapped - Quarry Flake, Nodule, or such
2. Decide on Desired End Product - Do you want an arrowhead, knife blade, scraper, drill?
3. Select Piece from collected flintknapping material to make this end product - decide based on general size, amount piece has to be reduced, quality of material, etc.
4. Decide type/s of Reduction needed - the more roughing out necessary (thinning and shaping), the more percussion reduction will be required
5. Put together Tool Kit to perform these reduction procedures
6. Application of Percussion Roughing out - if necessary
7. Application of Pressure Roughing out
8. Application of controlled Pressure Reduction to refine piece to final shape
9. Application of notching or other specialized reduction techniques if desired
10. Sign your work
11. Clean up Mess